Large Area Rug
A Large Area Rug Enhances a Dining Room
You can get by with something smaller in your other living spaces but you definitely need a large area rug in your dining room. Why do you need a large rug in your dining room? Because the area rug needs to be large enough so that as you sit down and get up from your dining room table, your dining room chair won't get caught on the edge of the area rug. Most designers suggest that your dining room rug should be no smaller than 4 feet longer and four feet wider than your dining room table.
Luckily large area rugs come in a number of different styles, both formal and casual, as well at a bunch of different price points. Here are some ideas to take with you when you're shopping for large rugs for your dining room:
- You probably want to stay away from any Chinese sculptured area rugs. These area rugs might catch a chair as it is being slid back and forth beneath the table. A Chinese Aubusson is a good idea as it has a pretty low pile being needlework (petit point).
- Likewise, you'll want to keep really thick shaggy area rugs out of your dining room as well. They've got too high a pile for you to move your chair easily as you move in and out of your dining space.
- If you have kids, consider getting a large rug that has an overall busy pattern. Stains won't show as much.
- If you have kids, you might want to consider getting a large rug that is braided. Most braided rugs are reversible for twice as much wear!
- On the other hand, you probably don't want to go with a very light weight area rug that won't stay in place as you skid your dining room seat underneath you as you get seated. You'll want a fairly heavy rug that will stay in place with the use of a rug mat.
About the Author
Janine Jones is a freelance writer based in Northern Virginia (she likes to call it NoVa). New to the freelance world, Janine used to work as an analyst / programmer for a beltway bandit before deciding to mix being a stay-at-home-mom with a writing career. These days, Janine tries to get a little work done when her two kids (ages 3 and 15 months) are otherwise occupied. Janine is hooked on area rugs of all kinds.